2018- Readings for The Barbarous Century
july 2018 - Ireland & england
July 14 - 11:30am - Bantry, Ireland - West Cork Literary Festival . Reading at Bantry Bookshop
July 16- 930pm - Cork, Ireland - O'Bheal
July 23 - 7-pm London at Poetry Cafe- In Town Tonight at The Poetry Society with Ruth Padel
July 26 - 7pm - Peckham, London Vanguard Reading at The Pelican.
Sept 14th - 6-9pm - The 7th Anniversary of COUPLET - at The Red Room, above KGB Bar, E. Village. Readers TBA
Sept 27 - 7pm - Reading at McNally Jackson Books with Ben Purkett and Elizabeth Dufford.
October 2 - The New School with Moira Egan
October 6 - Sarah Lawrence College Alumni Writing Festival -time TBA
October 12- 7pm - Pete's Big Salmon at Pete's Candy Store
November 7 - SUNY Adirondack Reading
December 2 - 6pm- Why There are Words at Bowery Poetry Club
March 8-10 -AWP 2018 - tampa, Florida
Friday, March 9th at 11am -Author Signing with Eyewear Publishing for -THE BARBAROUS CENTURY. Booth 337
Friday, March 9th from 4pm - 6pm: a joint reading of Eyewear Publishing, Blue River/Creighton University and Gold Wake Press for an AWP offsite reading on the rooftop deck at Fly Bar & Restaurant. More info, here.
Saturday March 10th Panel: Women Who Write the Future - 12:00PM Room 11, Tampa Convention Center, First Floor . S186. Women Write the Future. (Rebecca Gayle Howell, Leah Umansky, Sheree Renée Thomas) In a world of shifting alliances, power upheavals, and new challenges both environmental, socio-political, and technological, the science fiction, fantasy, and speculative genres offer artists a new imaginative lens to see and right/write the world. Women writers have added their voices and visions to this field, and are publishing now more than ever. Join four award-winning women writers reading and discussing works that re-imagine the past, examine our present, and contemplate new futures.
Sunday, March 18 - at 3pm at Bowery Poetry Club Reading for NYQ Books : Misrepresented People: Poetic Responses to Trump's America .The poets anthologized in this book bear witness to, rage against, and defy the misogyny, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, and authoritarian impulses that have always surrounded us, but that are incarnated in the 45th president.
portland, oregon readings for THe Barbarous century
Friday, March 23 - Portland, OR 7pm - at Jade Lounge - Reading as part of "An Occasional Reading Series" - hosted/curated by Dena Rash Guzman
Sunday March 26 - Portland, OR 6pm - Powells Books - Reading as part of Smallpressapalooza 2018!
May 5 - 11:00 am Salem, MA: In Transit: A Poetry Reading with Brionne Janae, Wesley Rothman, Leah Umansky, and Jenny Xie Massachusetts Poetry Festival. Hawthorne Hotel, Library Room 18 Washington Square W.
May 11- 7pm Pete's Big Salmon Series at Pete's Candy Store, Brooklyn NY with Elizabeth Metzger, Carly Joy Miller and Dorothea Lasky
May 29 - 7pm Bryant Park at NYPL Reading with Christopher Salerno, Michael Hoerman, Janlori Goldman, Leah Umansky
June 18 - 630-930pm Reading with Nicole Dennis-Benn, Ananda Lima, Lisa Romeo, and Leah Umansky at the Halfway There Reading Series at the Red Eye Cafe Montclair, NJ
January 27th - COUPLET: the winter edition. 7-10pm at The Delancey. Our poets are: Meghan Privitello, Camille Rankine, Ocean Vuong, Ailish Hopper, Rachel Eliza Griffiths & Terese Svoboda
Thursday, February 9th - 9:00-10:15am R114 - Supreme Court Marriot Marquis, Meeting Level 4 - "It's the End of the World and She Knows It: apocalypse poetry by women:" with Meghan Privitello, Dena Rash Guzman, Maggie Smith and Leah Umansky. Facebook http://www.facebook.com/events/662888447223238/
Friday, February 10th - Book signing with Jen Fitzgerald at The Dr. T.J. Eckleburg Review at Booth #389 from 3-4PM
March 23 - 7pm - Red Room KGB Bar - Reading for Resistance.
March 26 - 3pm - Bowery Poetry Club - Launch for the Golden Shovel Anthology Launch (read more about the anthology,
April 21st - 7-10PM at The Delancey. The National Poetry Month Edition of COUPLET starring: Omotara James, Roberto Montes, Nin Andrews, Jan Beatty, Keegan Lester
& Jen Levitt
June 3 - Reading for Thrush Poetry Journal Red Room at KGB BAR 21+ at 7pm.
Hosted by Poet & Editor, Helen Vitoria. Featuring readings by:Oliver Baez Bendorf, Cortney Lamar Charleston, Joseph Fasano,Megan Fernandes, Michael Homolka, Nomi Stone &Leah Umansky
July 29/30 - COUPLET at The Poetry Festival of NY at Govenors Island. Readers include: Featuring Amy Strauss Friedman, Marie La Vina, Katie Longofono, Carly Joy Miller
October 6 - Reading at Book Culture at W112th Street with Chrissy Williamsand Nikay Paredes at 7pm
October 8-9 - Reading at Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY
November 4th - 7pm Book Culture ( at W 112th street) Reading with Anthony Cappo, and Joanna C. Valente.
November 13 - 'm reading LIVE for Transatlantic Poetry with Irish Poet, Mary O'Malley. John Goselee hosts. (8pm UK time)
November 20th - Sunday, 2-4 pm Cedarmere, Roslyn Harbor, Long Island NY
Feb 8-11 - AWP - Washington D.C
On-site Panel/ Reading - "It’s the End of the World As She Knows It: Apocalypse Poetry by Women: with Meghan Privitello, Dena Rash Guzman and Maggie Smith." (Time/Day to be announced)
TBA - Reading with Jen Fitzgerald -- Baltimore, MD
[u.k readings 2016 ] for straight away the emptied world))
Sunday, March 20th -- Reading with Susannah Hart at the Torriano Meeting House. Kentish Town, London, England -99 Torriano Avenue, Kentish Town, London NW5 2RX (Directions: From Kentish Town tube station walk up Leighton Road
and turn left onto Torriano Avenue) 7-9pm
Monday, March 21st at 7:30pm Reading with Penny Boxall at Albion Beatnik Bookstore, Oxford, England. (http://www.albionbeatnik.co.uk/shop-events/)
Wednesday, March 23 " In Town Tonight" reading at The Poetry Society with Amy Key, Jane Yeh, and Alex Macdonald in London, UK
* i won't be at awp, but say hi to kattywompus press at booth #1419 *
April 14-17 split this rock festival - Washington DC
The Golden Shovel: Honoring Gwendolyn Brooks
Reginald Dwayne Betts, E. Ethelbert Miller, Wesley Rothman, Ravi Shankar, Leah Umansky, Jeanann Verlee
Beacon Hotel [Map]
April 21 - Pete's Candy Shop Brooklyn, NY
April 30 - COUPLET - National Poetry Month Edition with: Emilia Philips, Clark Moore, Claudia Cortese, Melissa Studdard, Sharon Dolin and Karen Hildebrand
Thursday, May 12th - Reading with Sarah Gerard and John Reed at Printed Matter.
Friday, May 13th --7pm with Heather Aimee O'Neill and Susan Bruce at Bookcourt in Brooklyn, NY.
[new mexico tour 2016]
for straight away the emptied world --
July 19 - 6pm Poetry reading with Bill Nevins and Jenn Givhan at BookWorks. Albuquerque, NM
July 23 - 2pm - Poetry reading with Poets Aaron Rudolph and Lauren Fath at LVPD (Meeting Room, Left side entrance), 318 Moreno Street, Las Vegas, NM.
July 31 - 2pm COUPLET at the Poetry Festival of New York. More info,
Sept 10th - 5-Year Anniversary of the COUPLET Reading Series starring: Monica Youn, Jen Fitzgerald, Tommy Pico, Dorothea Lasky and Jeanann Verlee and John Reed at 7pm. The Delancey, NYC.
Sept 11 - 11:15 AM " Life After the MFA" with Gibson Fay LeBlanc, Ricardo Maldonado, and Robin Beth Schaer Slice Literary Festival at St Francis College. Brooklyn, NY
Feb 25 at Mercer Street Books and Records Series with Amanda K Davidson, Rob Stephenson, John Reed & Leah Umansky at 7:30PM
Jan 23rd at 7pm at The Delancey is the return of COUPLET: starring: Rachel Eliza Griffiths, Claudia Cortese, Sharon Mesmer, Kristina Bicher, Clark Moore & Michael Morse
December 14th: Kattywompus Press at The Cornelia Street Cafe at 6pm with Cornelius Eady & Rough Magic, Sammy Greenspan,Ann Cefola, Margo Taft Stever, Robin Messing, Susana H. Case, and Leah Umansky
November 4th: Reading at Berl's Poetry Store Kathleen Ossip + Joshua Mehigan + Leah Umansky + Paige Lewis + Kaveh Akbar at Berl's Brooklyn Poetry Shop in Brooklyn, NY at 830PM
November 17th: Reading for POSIT Journal as part of Boog City: Night of Small Presses at Sidewalk Cafe on Avenue A, NYC.Tues. at 6:00 p.m.
October 3rd: The Four Year Anniversary of COUPLET at 7pm on the lower level of The Delancey, on the LES of NYC, starring: Robin Beth Schaer, Susan Bruce, Wesley Rothman, Barbara Ungar and Sandra Beasley. RSVP, here.
October 24th, Craft Talk/ Poetry Reading at Space on Ryder Farm http://spaceonryderfarm.org/ (info forthcoming...)
Tuesday, July 14th at Barnard College, from 12-2pm at the Altschul Atrium, I will be a part of a small group of women writers for the 2nd Annual Women Writing and Intersectionality Conference.
Saturday, July 25th at 1:30pm on the Algonquin Stage at Govenors Island, NYC, COUPLET will perform as part of the 5th Annual Poetry Festival of NY starring: Joanna Furhman, Abigail Welhouse, Amanda Smeltz, Barbara Louise Ungar, and Cynthia Cruz.
readings for don dreams and i dream 
april (including awp events)
- April 9 (Thursday) 8-10pm AWP reading for Kattywompus Press featuring Cornelius Eady, Chris Shipman, myself and many more (offsite) at Kieran’s Irish Pub, 85 6th St N, Mpls, MN
- April 10 (Friday) 10am- Noon - I'll be signing books with Dena Rash Guzman at the Cambridge Writers Workshop Table #954
- 1-2pm I'll be signing books at the Kattywompus Press booth : #307
- April 11 (Saturday) 3-5pm Reading with the Cambridge Writers Workshop at Boneshakers Bookstore (offsite) featuring Bianca Stone, Jessica Piazza, Dena Rash Guzman, Myself and others, at 2002 23rd Ave South, Minneapolis, MN.
- April 24- COUPLET READING SERIES & SOCIAL - Spring/ National Poetry Month Edition - 7-10pm at The Delancey, LES, NYC Featured poets are: Helen Vitoria, Nick Flynn, Kendra DeColo, John Deming, Matthea Harvey, and Anne-Marie Fyfe
- April 30 - "Uptown Poets Reading" at Book Culture on Columbus Avenue,UWS, NYC 7pm.
- March 1 -- Fantasy Reading with Kathleen Ossip at The Bowery Poetry Club, . NYC at 8:30 PM
- March 19- 7:30 pm -- Reading with Sean H. Doyle at The College of Saint Rose Standish Rooms/ Events and Athletics Center, Second Floor/ 420 Western Avenue/ Albany, NY 12203-- Albany, NY
- March 20, 4:00 - 530 p.m-- Saratoga Springs Public Library, with Nancy White and Barbara Louise Ungar. Contact Zoe Nousiainen firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 22, 2:00 p.m. Women Myth and Media : a poetry reading for Women's History Month with Barbara Louise Ungar and Leah Umansky Rensselaerville Library, Rensselaerville, NY Contact Kim Graff email@example.com
- February 3rd - l "Making Poems" reading at The New School at 6:30pm.
- January 23 - COUPLET READING SERIES featuring: Katie Byrum, John Ebensole, Katie Byrum, Rachel Zucker and Sarah Gerard at The Delancey, LES, NYC 7pm.
- Dec 8 - 8pm - Reading at BookCourt in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn for Sackett Street Writers, featuring Will Boast, Emily St. John Mandel, Diane Cook, Leah Umansky, and Dina Nayeri
- November 21 Reading for Locked-Horn Press with Angela Veronica Wong, Cheryl Fish and others - Berl's Poetry Shop
- October 10 - Reading with David Lehman at NYU's Lillian Vernon House at 5pm. Facebook invite, here.
- October 17- THE THIRD ANNIVERSARY OF COUPLET - featuring, Hila Ratzabi, Talia Shalev, Jason Koo, John Reed and Rachel McKibbens.
- September 4 - Reading for Largehearted Lit with Will Chancellor and Scott Cheshire at SPIRITED Brooklyn [POSTPONED UNTIL FUTURE NOTICE}
- September 6 - Reading as part of ,"VAST WASTELAND: Poets Respond to TV" at Berl's Poetry Shop.
- Aug 20 -Reading in "The 3rd Anniversary of Renegade Reading Series" with Elissa Schappell, Scott Cheshire and others at 8pm at Cool Pony in Crown Heights, Brooklyn
Southern USA Road Trip/ Book Tour for Don Dreams and I Dream
(Read about the tour, here. )
(June 26- July 5)
June 26 - Reading for "What's New In Poetry" at the Emory University Bookstore in Atlanta, Georgia
June 27 - Reading at Avid Bookshop with the Avid Poetry Series, in Athens, Georgia
June 29 -A Night of Music and Poetry at Nightbell - Asheville, NC reading at Nightbell
July 2 - Reading at East Side TN Books 4-6pm - Nashville, Tennessee
July 12 - MR HIP PRESENTS -Poets House NYC 6:30pm $10 Invite,
- June 19 - "Poetry Potpourri" at WORD Bookstore -with Elvis Alves, Joanna Penn Cooper, and Lisa Marie Basile
May 9 - Red Sofa Salon - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 8pm (buy tickets ahead of time)
- April 12 - Reading at ARGO Bookshop in Montreal, Canada
- April 23 at 7pm at the Syosset Public Library for a" Local Authors Showcase. " (syosset, long island, NY)
- April 26 - Reading at Northshire Books in Manchester Center, Vermont.
- March 10th - Franklin Park Reading Series - 5th anniversary 8pm
- March 15th - the Return of COUPLET - SPRING EDITION at 7pm featuring five fabulous writers.
- March 25th -Short Takes with Sarah Gerard and Joseph Riippi at 7pm at McNally Jackson Books.
I have three readings at AWP two are on Thursday the 27th of February. . .One in the early evening , "Transforming Text," a panel on Poetry and Collage at the Project Room, and one is the Similar Peaks Poetry Release Party later that night at Vermillion Art Gallery in Seattle. The last is on Friday night with the Cambridge Writers Workshop
Book signing of Don Dreams and I Dream on Thursday 2/27 from 2-3PM at Booth #624 (Kattywompus Press) at AWP.
- My next reading is Jan 31 at Mellow Pages library, in Brooklyn, with John Reed and Donald Breckenberg. Invite here.
- November 11th - NYU Reading with Lisa Marie Basile, Sarah Sweeney, and Anne Champion. Info Here. 7pm.
- November 30th - Great Weather for Media, Parkside Lounge, East Village, NYC.
- September 24 - Bryant Park Reading - "Word for Word" poetry featuring the poets of BlazeVOX
- September 28 - Rochester, NY - Rachel McKibbens' "Poetry & Pie Night."
July (Pacific NW)
- July 16 Reading with Dena Rash Guzman , and other very talented female writers ,at The Blue Monk in Portland, Oregon for Unchaste Readers at 8pm. (read more, here)
- July 18- Reading with Luke B. Goebel at Ristretto Roasters. Portland, Oregon Ristretto Roasters Reading Series at 7pm.
- July 20- Reading at the "A New Cadence Poetry Series" at Felix Kulpa Gallery --Santa Cruz, California
- July 24 - Reading with Tom Healy and Adam Fitzgerald at Richard Hugo House, Seattle, Washington
Read about my Book Tour for Domestic Uncertainties HERE !
July 28 -- COUPLET reads at the 3rd Annual New York Poetry Festival at Govenors Island. The Invite on FB i
- June 12th - Reading with John Reed and Dustin Luke Nelson at Molasses Books. Invite: here.
- June 15th - Reading at Walt Whitman's Birthplace as part of "SPARK BOOM's Long Island Voices" from 7-9 pm in Huntington, Long Island, NY
- June 19th - Patasola Parlor (this time, I won't be sick) at Happy
- April 18 - Inaugural reading for 1st issue of The Mackinac at Milk & Roses.
- April 19th- Conklin Barn - Huntington Historical Society (Long Island)
- April 21 Sunday Salon
- April 24 - Guerrilla Lit
- April 27 Pete's Candy Store (BK)
- Feb 22 - Stain of Poetry, Brooklyn
- Feb 27- Perfect Sense Reading - Cornelia Street Cafe, (West Village NYC)
- January 8th, Reading at The Book Report at Le Poisson Rouge (details tba)
- January 14th - featured w/the Sackett Street Writers at BOOKCOURT - Brooklyn
- January 23rd- reading with Laura Cronk, and other poets at Vica Miller's Salon on the UWS of Manhattan.
- January 5th, Book Release Party for DOMESTIC UNCERTAINTIES at KGB BAR (7pm-9pm) in East Village, NYC
November 14th, 2012
- I will be reading with some other fabulous readings for InDigest Magazine's Hurricane Sandy Benefit Reading at Le Poisson Rouge in NYC at 7PM.
- I will be reading with some other fabulous readers on behalf of the new issue of Ping-Pong.
September 6, 2012
- I will be reading as part of the "Sweet Actors Reading Writers" Series at 730PM at Three of Cups in the East Village (83 1st avenue at 5th st)
July 21, 2012
- I will be reading as part of a fabulous line-up of writers for Underwater New York in the Second Annual New York Poetry Festival at 12:30pm.
- At 2:30pm, my reading series COUPLET: A poetry and music series will be reading at the Festival, as well. Come on out !!
June 3, 2012
- I will be reading as part of a fabulous line up of writers for the HOWL Festival in Tompkins Square Park from 1-4.
May 19, 2012
- I will be reading as part of the BROOKLYN LIT CRAWL with the Cambridge Writers Workshop at CEOL in Brooklyn from 6-7pm.
May 2, 2012
- I will be reading as part of a great grouping of writers at the May, Freerange Nonfiction Reading Series
April 17, 2012
- I will be reading as part of a fabulous line-up of writers at the April, Franklin Park Reading Series from 8-10pm.
Feb 3, 2012
Jan 12, 2012
- NEW COUPLET: The Delancey, LES, NYC. See www.coupletreadingseries.tumblr.com for more info
Dec 4, 2011
Nov 5, 2011
- Paterson Literary Review #39 Issue Party & Reading
- Reading as part of the PLR Reading at The Poetry Center at Passaic County Community College
- Hamilton Club Building Paterson, NJ 07505
September 10, 2011 -
- NYC LIT CRAWL / Dirty Laundry Series.
June 12, 2011
- Lolita Bar: A reading featuring: Leah Umansky; Barbara Louise Ungar; Lauren Russell; Seth Graves; Liz Axelrod and Rebecca Melnyk
April 10, 2010
- American Voice in Poetry Anthology Reading Hamilton Club Building Paterson, NJ 07505
October 24, 2007
- Post MFA reading – Cornelia Street Café, New York. New York
September 22, 2006
- Earshot Reading Series Brooklyn, New York
July 30th, 2002
- Bluestockings Women's Bookstore & Cafe, New York, New York
- << http://bluestockings.com/>>
Jan 23rd at 7pm at The Delancey is the return of COUPLET: starring: Rachel Eliza Griffiths, Claudia Cortese, Sharon Mesmer, Kristina Bicher, Clark Moore & Michael Morse